Monday, April 18, 2011

Soul Surfer Review

Good movie. I followed Bethany Hamilton's story when it all happened years ago, thus I was influenced to see the movie to relive the news articles I suppose. She's a strong individual and kudos to her for not giving up on herself when so many people do with a lot less trauma in their lives.

That being said ... was it so necessary to talk about religion every two minutes? And did they really (seriously) kill the shark that ate her arm?? Well, that just tells God how much you love his earth and creatures, huh? So after the first 45 minutes when I'd heard them speak about religion about 15 times and then after seeing a dead shark (even if it was fake) hanging from a Caterpillar crane, I gave up on the movie.

And you can't argue with the theater to get your money back, and Hollywood certainly won't refund money to patrons who are offended in some way.

Entertainment should not be the voice of religious or political beliefs or disbeliefs. End of story. When you add either said to the mix you're going to offend someone. Let the crooked politicians and crooked religious nuts ruin the world (because they're doing a great job on their own) and let Hollywood simply entertain. I don't always go to movies to think, sometimes (most of the time) it's to get away from thinking, things that bother me in real life, etc.

I guess I'd give it a 2.5 out of 4 ... because like I said, it's a good movie. I'm just not going to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment